I guess by now everyone online has heard about KONY 2012, I have seen it throughout Twitter, on pretty much every YouTube video I have watched recently, all over my Facebook. But I never took the time to look into it. Untill today.
And what I found was a horrific documentary that shocked me to my core.
And it shocked me for two reason;
1) I knew nothing about who Joseph Kony or what he was doing.
2) That this was actually going on in the world.
For those who don’t know, Joseph Kony is the leader of an army moving through Africa, abducting children and forcing them to fight for him, making them kill their families and friends and ruining any chance of a life they had.
This army is called; The Lord’s Resistance Army or “LRA”.
Over the last ten years a charity has been set up called Invisible Children Inc, and this month they released a video called KONY 2012, a video they intended to go viral for the purpose of making Joseph Kony famous. Not to celebrate him, but to raise awareness of his actions.
We are a week in to March and already the video has gone viral with over 5 million hits on Vimeo alone.
Instead of trying to describe what happens in the video I have posted it below, please take time out to watch it. It is informative, it is inspirational and it is right to raise awarness.
After watching this I went straight to the KONY 2012 website, and purchased a bracelet, unfortunately I’m strapped for cash at the moment, or I would have bought the Action Kit, which includes posters as well as two bracelets and a t-shirt.
I want to get involved in this, but being from a small town, which only received city status back in 2002, I doubt think there will be many demo’s here, so I am going to do what I can, this is what this post is for, to raise awareness, to do my bit, when I get my next student loan in April, I am going to donate to this cause and I hope the governments of the world listen.
America has started to, but I haven’t heard much from England, after all it was America who sent that initial small amount of soldiers to give advice, but as the video states, if the public’s interest wanes, support will be revoked.
That can’t happen.
Please reblog this if you have the chance, raise awareness, share the video to your Facebook Timelines and your Twitter feeds. I’m going to look into this as much as I can and do what I can to help. Because this is much bigger than anything I will ever go through, much bigger than what you reading this will ever go through. We stood up to Hitler now we need to stand up to Kony, bring him to justice and release the children he holds captive back into their lives, back to their families, let them grow and love.
Let them have a life.
Let them LIVE.
- The Invisible Children – Kony 2012 (intentious.com)
- Kony 2012 (hypebeast.com)
- Kony 2012 (stephkukuljan.wordpress.com)
- Do You Know Who Joseph Kony Is? (crittyjoy.com)
- Kony 2012 (matthewarinehart.wordpress.com)
- KONY 2012 | The Worst (jessicabrightman.wordpress.com)
- This is Joseph Kony. (cindyagoncillo.com)
- Kony 2012 (nidafarhi.wordpress.com)
- Stop Kony: Invisible Children’s ‘Kony 2012’ to Find Justice for Child Soldiers [VIDEO] (ibtimes.com)
- Kony 2012 sheds light on Uganda conflict (news.ninemsn.com.au)
- Invisible Children KONY 2012 (4lom.wordpress.com)
- #stopkony #makekonyfamous #kony2012 #josephkony2012 @invisible April 20 2012 (jennywongyvr.wordpress.com)
- Kony 2012 (lovelifelipsticks.wordpress.com)
- Who Is Joseph Kony? #KONY2012 (silenceassound.wordpress.com)
- The Green Initiative Fund: Kony 2012: Justice for Invisible Children (socialactions.net)